Thursday, June 24, 2010

Crazy Night Out

My first order of business today was to arrange for concert tickets for this evening. After all the wonderful music I experienced in Prague, I knew that it would be criminal to not continue the trend here so I booked for a night of Strauss Waltzes and Mozart Arias at the Imperial Palace, The Hofburg. Now this was a special event as this is where Mozart actually performed many of his works for the king at this very place...so I believe in shakti and wanted to feel it for my self. My next order of business was some personal maintenance, I needed a haircut something bad! I can no longer tolerate my limp unruly mass of a hair experiment and need a little boost. So, back on the underground to the city center in search of some style. I did not have to look very far, and found a lovely little salon that managed the job quite cheaply and efficiently....job done! The next 5 hours I spent on foot following the ring around the city snapping photos and enjoying the wonderful summer weather. I decide to do a little reconnasence for tonights show so that I am not flustered and late. I am glad I did. The Hofburg is enormous with so many concert halls and buildings I would have never found it. My particular venue was right near the Spanish Riding School, home of the world famous Lipzinner Stallions. Who knew? I would have if I had done my research and I am wishing I had!

I take a small respite at the hotel before dressing (a first on this trip!) for the concert this evening. Unlike Prague, this concert was packed! I could tell it was primarily, if not all tourists, and a great deal of them on tours. Not exactly the evening of high culture I had envisioned, but they did put on a delightful show and I enjoyed myself. I must admit I am not a huge Strauss fan, but it was a fun evening none the less. The evening took a weird twist on the walk home. Not wanting to spend another evening eating alone at a restaurant, I decide to park myself at a sausage vendor's stand and enjoy a Viennese sausage and a beer. Soon a conversation begins with two gentlemen...one Austrian, a lovely bear of a man and a generous and lovely soul....the other, an American who is on business with the Pentagon. It turns out this guys is on the Joint Chiefs of Staff and is a full bird Colonel. Well, my newsy background is intrigued, especially with all the current buzz in Afghanistan, that I want to engaged in a full fledged discussion on current US policy, etc... I know...I should have given it a rest!!! Anyway, it is weird how little bits of your past life still linger on the edges and spring into full gear with a little spark. Suffice it to say, this guy could have cared less about my understanding of US politics and had other ideas....talk about your ugly American. I made it home, after again getting lost and staying out past the Underground's operating hours. I get home at 1:30...and have a wake up call for 5:30 as it is an all day journey to Venice. Note to self....don't be such a smarty pants! 

No comments:

Post a Comment