Saturday, June 19, 2010

Polo in Jane Austen Country

We arrived very late last night to Margaret and David's home in Upper Wraxell. It is a bucolic village in the heart of Wiltshire which evokes a simpler time of gentlemen and ladies in their beautiful Cotswold stone homes. Will and Samantha are thrilled to be spending time with their English cousins and have been busily playing with them ever since. Today brought an outing to a Polo Match and a country fair. The countryside here is so beautiful and even with a mixed bag of weather it is breathtaking. We are feeling invigorated after an afternoon in the fields watching the sport of kings, playing games, a picnic on the grass, and the traditional stomping of the divets at the half. The sun has finally decided to come out and all the kids have gone to the fields to fly kites as the grown-ups prepare a summer barbecue. It is a fuzzy warm sweater feeling to be back here again.

Tomorrow morning I am off on my adventure. I spent several hours yesterday re-packing my backpack while at Chris' and left what I thought was a great deal behind. Well, today I have taken even more out...2 drawer fulls! It is still a bit too heavy for my shoulders, so I will make another pass tonight and get it down to the bare minimum. Clearly I am a novice backpacker! It is amazing how little one needs if you are required to lug it everywhere you go....a lesson I need to incorporate once we return home.
Less. Less. Less. Too much stuff = too much stress. Why as a society are we conditioned to continually acquire more, more, more when we already have more than we need? Time to cast off our old habits and recondition for a leaner, smarter way of life. Quality is what counts. 

Prague tomorrow night....I will find you at an internet cafe!   

No comments:

Post a Comment