Friday, June 25, 2010

Dazed and Confused

I am happy today is a travel day as I am completely worn out after a day of walking and a very short night's sleep. My excitement at embarking on the heart of my journey is palpable...Italy, a long held dream. The train ride is relaxing and enjoyable, unfortunately it is only half of the equation as the rest of the journey must continue by bus. Yuck! I am not dismayed however as the countryside is lovely and as each mile passes I am filled with an ever increasing amount of joy. It is at times like these that you can not but help to appreciate the wonders and abundance our lives have to offer. How incredibly fortunate I am to be right here, right now, at this exact moment in time......it is humbling and I am profoundly grateful. I am completely present and I am relishing each moment!

Once again however, I am vexed by my own lax attitude towards planning and preparation. My "let's wing it" attitude is fun, but it does have an ugly downside. We arrive to complete chaos at the bus terminal in Venice, which I believe is it's natural state of being. I put on my backpack....with only a hint of an address, and figure how hard can it be? Venice is small....I will figure it out! Hah!!! It is much hotter in Italy than it was in Eastern Europe, and I am wearing my travel clothes; jeans, sneakers, and a long sleeve shirt. I set out in search of the water bus and hope that along the way it all starts to make sense. Of course this would be a great plan if I a) had a map, b) knew where on San Marco I was heading, 3) had the phone number to my hotel, 4) could find a wifi hotspot, and 5) it wasn't so damn hot and my backpack wasn't so damn heavy. Now we are back to the backpack....I believe it holds the key to my evolution as a human and is there to teach me some very important concept that has so far escaped me. As I walk...and walk...and walk....I am becoming increasingly more frustrated at my inability to navigate the labyrinth that is Venice and the back breaking feeling of carrying around all of this stuff that at this point I feel might be better off thrown in to the canal!! At one point, I take off the backpack and lean it against a wall...glaring at it as though it were the enemy. It is the backpacks fault!! After a few deep cleansing breaths I begin to realize that I must be in some type of mini-hell....where the devil is forcing me to carry around all of my selfish accumulations through out eternity so that I may see the pointlessness of it all. Perhaps if we were to carry around what we thought we needed...we might not need so much???  I truly believe I could have jettisoned the whole thing, and considered it strongly in the heat of the evening sun, but thought again and made peace with the thing and we continued on our way. Several hours later, and after a string of SOS text messages to various people around the globe...I found my hotel. Only a few steps from the Rialto Bridge and after all of my walking....I had nearly walked the entire distance. It turns out the yellow signs I was following to "Per Rialto"...were to the actual bridge...not the water bus. I should have studied!

No comments:

Post a Comment